I was annoyed by that epic fail chocolate chip cookie escapade. I read over the cooking-for-engineers article again (and got confused by conflicting flour sift/don’t sift instructions and assumptions from it and several other sites). I needed something concrete and absolute regarding the flour amount. I dug out my digital scale (no doubt bought from a crack dealer on eBay – but I use it for yarn) and measured out exactly (to two decimal points) 360 g of flour as suggested on the engineers site.
I had to bring out Big Green:
to handle the dough mixing. With that amount of flour my little handheld mixer would have been working hard. It’s on its way out anyway, so why torment it? After mixing the dough I was hopeful – it was much sturdier and thicker than the last batch.
I used a heaping rounded tablespoon to portion out the dough and this recipe made three dozen cookies. I baked them 15 minutes. I didn’t use parchment, either.
I will definitely use this recipe again, and I will measure/weigh the flour.
That ^^ was from the failure batch of Friday.
I finished sewing the hobo bag. It’s pretty cute! I am pleased with the bag, and it was a learning experience. I am quite meticulous with my knitting, especially with the finishing, but I found with the sewing, I was less so. I mostly followed the tutorial, except for sewing the sides to the bottom pieces where sewing on a curve. They suggest working from the top down to the center, then flip it over and work top to center/bottom again. Meh – I just pinned it all and sewed it in one long run. I did get some puckering around the curve, but nothing I can’t live with.
I also put the bottom reinforcement in a different way. First of all, the lady at the fabric store sold me the wrong stuff to use. I was supposed to get some closed-cell foam – which they didn’t have, so instead she assured me I could use some double-sided flexi firm interfacing. Once I got it home and figured out how it worked, I realized I’d have to MacGuyver it. I cut two long strips of flexi firm, then some longer and wider pieces of white broadcloth. I sandwiched it all and ironed/pressed it together. Then I trimmed it down to the size I needed (which was 4″ shorter than the pattern called for based on a review I read). The few sites I’d visited where people had made this bag, they all had convoluted ways of doing the bottom reinforcing. I sewed a little sleeve for the stacked interfacing slab I’d made, sewed it into the seam allowances (with one end open) then I fed the slab into the carrier and folded over the end and hand-stitched it. That part is covered by the interior/lining of the bag, so I wasn’t worried if it was ugly.
I have some fabric left over; I’ll have to think of what to make with it. I really like that green paisley.
I didn’t do too badly with the zipper for the pocket, except is was slightly curved. Again, not enough to make me want to rip it out and do over. Ha!
By the time I was done this project, I was content to put the sewing machine away for a bit and get back to my knitting.