I came across this recipe a few weeks ago for baked donuts. The photos looked wonderfully tempting. Last night I decided to try it. I got my (new) bread maker out and loaded the ingredients in. I was buzzing around doing laundry and tidying up a bit – the machine started making a weird noise. I checked on it and the kneading hook had come off its pedestal and was stuck in the ball of dough. I stuck it back on and tried to get it going again. And again, after a few turns, the hook came off again. Grrr.
So I took the dough out, kneaded it a bit, then put it in a bowl in a warm place to rise. I let it rise about an hour then carried on with the recipe. They didn’t rise as much as I wanted, but I think that might have been because of the wonky bread maker macerating the dough. Damn thing.
It made about a dozen and some holes. I topped them with melted butter and dipped in cinnamon sugar. Tasted just fine!
Next time I’ll try this recipe – I can mix the dough with my KitchenAid and not mess with that stupid break maker.
So while I was slaving over a hot oven, the rest of the pack was: