It’s done! It’s done!

The Octodude (Knitter’s Dude sweater) is finished!  I had to wait a day to get some buttons because the ones I bought at the yarn store were 1.25″ and I needed 1″.  I didn’t think to check when I was making the buttonholes on the band, so I had to see what I could get locally.

The Knitter's Dude sweater, modified

The Knitter’s Dude sweater, modified

My Ravelry project page is here.  I made several modifications which I have listed in my project notes.  I wanted a different colourwork motif than the pattern had, so I found an octopus graph and incorporated that.  I also wanted to keep the “oceanic” theme and changed the other colourwork sections to waves instead of Greek key.

the back

the back

I added length to the body/torso (before the yoke) and the sleeves because most patterns are too short for me in those areas.  The sleeves ended up being a bit long, so I have folded back the ribbed cuffs and am happy with that.  I can fold them down if my hands get cold!

The sweater is knit in the round, then steeked to make a cardigan.  I’ve done steeks before (for armholes on Dale of Norway sweaters) but it has been more than a few years.  I did some googling and got my sewing machine out.

eeeek!  Cutting the steek.

eeeek! Cutting the steek.

After picking up and knitting the button bands and collar, I was able to find some really cool grosgrain ribbon to use to cover the steek ends.

hand sewing the steek facing

hand sewing the steek facing

I spent a lot of time doing the detailed finishing work.  I trimmed the steeks down close to the stitching to reduce bulk, then sewed the ribbon on top.

15538979_1616539728651243_7891487624504803328_n_medium2

isn’t the ribbon awesome? I love skulls as much as I love octopus!

img_0893_medium2

I sewed on small clear buttons on the inside of the button band to reinforce the buttons.

img_0894

the buttons I found locally. I might swap them out for some to match the burnt orange stripes, if I find the right ones.

I used Cascade 220 Heathers for this project.  It’s a great “workhorse” worsted weight yarn.  I have enough left over to make a hat.  For now, I’ve cast on a quick hat using Vanna’s Choice that will go into my donation box.

Advertisements

One response

Leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s