Sock Catch Up

I had purchased some lovely Biscotte and Cie sock yarn when I was on one of my trips to Vancouver.  After making some socks for other people, I decided to make a pair for me.  I used my usual sock stitch count/pattern, but after I had done the heel flaps, I ripped them back because I wanted to try a different heel treatment.

Vnq7BHeM8Q3xz2D6bHdgMrNpxRz4WuEpC3futw_F4JwpX92IB

Watermelon Socks!

Ravelry project page is here. I liked the after-thought heel and will use it again.  There are a few refinements I would make to it, and next time I’d make the foot just a little shorter before beginning the toe decreases.  Cute!

A friend recently had her 40th birthday and I made her a pair of socks using another colourway of Biscotte & Cie.

IvxEtynYe4r7eAPe0vA6Un9ydvnJkOPNrrzRcBNaLeIpX92IB

Ladybug colourway

The Ravelry project page is here.

The Biscotte yarns are very nice; while they say superwash, I wouldn’t put them in the dryer unless you wanted to felt/full them to make them smaller.  Great colourways!

Long time …

no post!

For two retired people, we are always busy with something.  I’ve been working since February, I think, on this First Watch Pea Coat sweater.  It was a bit of a gong show with starts and stops.  It took three tries to get a yarn that could meet gauge without being too drapey.

The yarn I ended up using was Cascade Cloud; it does seem to be a true Aran weight yarn.  The others I tried were labeled/marketed as Aran, but were really just worsted.  This yarn is a 70% Wool – Merino/30% Camelid – Alpaca blend and is a “chain” yarn, or cabled.  Not spun.  I found it really annoying to work with because it was really splitty.  Also the only colour that my LYS had enough of, was navy.  So it was a challenge all around.  Very dark and hard to work on at night.

IMG_20170603_194126_208

Obligatory awkward photo; the navy is really deeper than shown here

The pattern itself is really straight forward.  Top down, raglan sleeve construction and the button band (wide) is knitted as you work the body.  I liked it.

I did some modifications; I had to add length to the sleeves and torso, as usual.  I also added in front and back waist shaping.  I really like the body shape when I do that.  It’s the same as I did on my Flax and Lush sweaters.

I got the buttons when I was in Vancouver in February at Button Button, a fantastic little store downtown.  I ended up being two buttons short due to the added length (and I probably could have spaced the button holes a few more rows apart, in retrospect) so I emailed them and they were able to send some out to me.

I think I need to do a bit more blocking and maybe put an invisible snap on the bottom of the button band so it doesn’t flare out.  Or it just could be the shorts I was wearing; the waist has a chunky drawstring …

The Ravelry project page is here.

I made a few pairs of socks here and there for birthdays, and squeezed one pair in for myself.  I don’t know where the photos are of the other ones.  Let me go look.