My mom asked for a donation to her church’s silent auction. I didn’t feel like donating a hat or anything like that, so I made a size 2T Flax sweater. Such a great pattern! I really love the Flax I made for myself a few years ago (and I intend to make myself another one soon).
Ravelry project page is here. I used an easy-care acrylic (Lion Brand Pound of Love), but it’s very soft. I hope some little kid is warm!
I had this yarn for a while – Sweet Georgia Yarns superwash worsted. I tried making a scarf, I tried making a hooded cowl, but nothing really wowed me.
I’ve made this hat before and used the same mods. Ravelry project page is here. I did buy a big fluffy white pom pon, but it’s too heavy and pulls the hat weirdly. I need to find one that doesn’t have a solid core.
The yarn is great – nice hand to it and the stitch definition is lovely. I have another couple of skeins of this yarn in different colourways, so I will most likely use them for hats.
I added this project to my Ravelry page when I didn’t have the pattern in front of me. I knew it was some odd name, in my mind it came up as “Orange Surprise”. The actual pattern is called “Pink Memories”. 😀
I had this Madelinetosh Tosh DK that I had bought years ago to make a short sleeved sweater. I decided I wanted to use it for this, so I had to source come other yarn so I would have enough. I found some at Hawthorne and Wool and love how it complements the orange.
I made my usual modifications to the sweater (longer in the torso, longer in the sleeves). Instead of doing the colourblock option that the pattern has, I decided to add some contrast colour stripes/bands. I like how it turned out.
I also did my preferred method of waist shaping. The original pattern calls for an A-line shaped body, but I didn’t want that. It also has garter stitch sections, and a pocket. I ignored all of those.
Again, I was off with my measurements and it’s a bit roomier than I had anticipated. I washed the sweater when I got back from my trip to Vancouver, and it became quite loose and drapey. I put it in the dryer for a while and that tightened things up a bit.
The colour of the yarns is most like the second photo.
The yarn was nice to work with, but the orange bled a lot onto my hands and needles. It certainly is different after washing. I am starting a new project with another colourway of this same yarn, so I did my gauge swatch and then washed it and dried flat. It bloomed and softened.
I’d seen this sweater a lot on Instagram. Most of the projects were made with speckled yarns, but I have a lot of solids, striped and tonal sock yarns, and I’m trying to use them up. So I chose five balls of Sweet Georgia Yarn Tough Love Sock yarn.
As usual, I added length to the torso and sleeves. The pattern is a top-down raglan, with some front neck shaping, which I like. The colour melting/fading is done by striping the two colours over 10 rows. With variegated and/or speckled yarns, it’s fairly subtle, but more noticeable with the tonals (the last two colours).
The sweater I made before this (I’ll do a later post about it) I did the same thing. Still not accustomed to my new measurements. (I’ve lost some inches on my torso.) My shoulders/chest are a fair bit larger than my waist.
This turned out great and I’m sure I’ll make another one. I -do- have enough sock yarn to use up. 😀
Instead of doing the waist shaping on the side “seams”, this method has the front and back divided into thirds, and the shaping is done on the front/back of the torso. I quite like it. I think this is the fifth sweater on which I have utilized it.
The Octodude (Knitter’s Dude sweater) is finished! I had to wait a day to get some buttons because the ones I bought at the yarn store were 1.25″ and I needed 1″. I didn’t think to check when I was making the buttonholes on the band, so I had to see what I could get locally.
My Ravelry project page is here. I made several modifications which I have listed in my project notes. I wanted a different colourwork motif than the pattern had, so I found an octopus graph and incorporated that. I also wanted to keep the “oceanic” theme and changed the other colourwork sections to waves instead of Greek key.
I added length to the body/torso (before the yoke) and the sleeves because most patterns are too short for me in those areas. The sleeves ended up being a bit long, so I have folded back the ribbed cuffs and am happy with that. I can fold them down if my hands get cold!
The sweater is knit in the round, then steeked to make a cardigan. I’ve done steeks before (for armholes on Dale of Norway sweaters) but it has been more than a few years. I did some googling and got my sewing machine out.
After picking up and knitting the button bands and collar, I was able to find some really cool grosgrain ribbon to use to cover the steek ends.
I spent a lot of time doing the detailed finishing work. I trimmed the steeks down close to the stitching to reduce bulk, then sewed the ribbon on top.
I used Cascade 220 Heathers for this project. It’s a great “workhorse” worsted weight yarn. I have enough left over to make a hat. For now, I’ve cast on a quick hat using Vanna’s Choice that will go into my donation box.