I had purchased some lovely Biscotte and Cie sock yarn when I was on one of my trips to Vancouver. After making some socks for other people, I decided to make a pair for me. I used my usual sock stitch count/pattern, but after I had done the heel flaps, I ripped them back because I wanted to try a different heel treatment.
Ravelry project page is here. I liked the after-thought heel and will use it again. There are a few refinements I would make to it, and next time I’d make the foot just a little shorter before beginning the toe decreases. Cute!
A friend recently had her 40th birthday and I made her a pair of socks using another colourway of Biscotte & Cie.
For two retired people, we are always busy with something. I’ve been working since February, I think, on this First Watch Pea Coat sweater. It was a bit of a gong show with starts and stops. It took three tries to get a yarn that could meet gauge without being too drapey.
The yarn I ended up using was Cascade Cloud; it does seem to be a true Aran weight yarn. The others I tried were labeled/marketed as Aran, but were really just worsted. This yarn is a 70% Wool – Merino/30% Camelid – Alpaca blend and is a “chain” yarn, or cabled. Not spun. I found it really annoying to work with because it was really splitty. Also the only colour that my LYS had enough of, was navy. So it was a challenge all around. Very dark and hard to work on at night.
The pattern itself is really straight forward. Top down, raglan sleeve construction and the button band (wide) is knitted as you work the body. I liked it.
I did some modifications; I had to add length to the sleeves and torso, as usual. I also added in front and back waist shaping. I really like the body shape when I do that. It’s the same as I did on my Flax and Lush sweaters.
I got the buttons when I was in Vancouver in February at Button Button, a fantastic little store downtown. I ended up being two buttons short due to the added length (and I probably could have spaced the button holes a few more rows apart, in retrospect) so I emailed them and they were able to send some out to me.
I think I need to do a bit more blocking and maybe put an invisible snap on the bottom of the button band so it doesn’t flare out. Or it just could be the shorts I was wearing; the waist has a chunky drawstring …
I saw a great pattern on Instagram and was waiting for it to be released. It called for aran weight yarn, but I thought I could probably do it with worsted – my favourite Cascade 220, as I have some of that in my stash. It’s called “First Watch” and is a pea coat styled cardigan. It is by Olive Knits. I swatched with Cascade 220, and while I was able to get that gauge of 18 st per 4″, the fabric was way too drapey for this sort of garment.
I was at my (not so) local yarn store a week or so ago, and picked up some Berocco Vintage which is labeled as an aran weight. I did a gauge swatch and it, too, was far to flimsy for this type of structure. So I ended up ordering some Cascade Longwood, which is a true aran weight. I did a quick swatch of it last night and my gauge was bang on.
The colour is a little off. It’s sort of a paprika/brick red orange. I’ll pick up some awesome buttons when I’m in Vancouver in a couple of weeks at Button Button!
In the meantime, I decided to start a pair of socks, because who doesn’t love knitting socks?!
This is some Sweet Georgia Yarns sock yarn club from 2015. It’s more purple/red. I have some purple left over from another pair of socks that I will use for the heels and toes. Such great yarn!
We have been diligent in getting our lane swimming in at least once a week. We have gone a few times to a really nice complex in Saskatoon and had some great swims there. I am seeing progress in my technique, but it’s slow.
The Octodude (Knitter’s Dude sweater) is finished! I had to wait a day to get some buttons because the ones I bought at the yarn store were 1.25″ and I needed 1″. I didn’t think to check when I was making the buttonholes on the band, so I had to see what I could get locally.
My Ravelry project page is here. I made several modifications which I have listed in my project notes. I wanted a different colourwork motif than the pattern had, so I found an octopus graph and incorporated that. I also wanted to keep the “oceanic” theme and changed the other colourwork sections to waves instead of Greek key.
I added length to the body/torso (before the yoke) and the sleeves because most patterns are too short for me in those areas. The sleeves ended up being a bit long, so I have folded back the ribbed cuffs and am happy with that. I can fold them down if my hands get cold!
The sweater is knit in the round, then steeked to make a cardigan. I’ve done steeks before (for armholes on Dale of Norway sweaters) but it has been more than a few years. I did some googling and got my sewing machine out.
After picking up and knitting the button bands and collar, I was able to find some really cool grosgrain ribbon to use to cover the steek ends.
I spent a lot of time doing the detailed finishing work. I trimmed the steeks down close to the stitching to reduce bulk, then sewed the ribbon on top.
I used Cascade 220 Heathers for this project. It’s a great “workhorse” worsted weight yarn. I have enough left over to make a hat. For now, I’ve cast on a quick hat using Vanna’s Choice that will go into my donation box.